Moving day can be a really exciting day. At the same time, it can also be brutal, unpleasant work. Throw in one of those summer scorchers that we always dread? You have a recipe for a pretty bad time.
And while we can’t make the heat disappear, we can suggest a few things that should make for a considerably easier time than it would be otherwise.
Let’s start with a few things you can do to get ready for the big day:
- Pets and kids: Not the easiest thing in the world, but if you can make sure the kids are elsewhere that day, along with the pets, you’re setting yourself up for an easier day right off the bat.
- Pre-day packing: To be sure, the last thing you want to do is face down a day of packing and moving. Some last-minute packing is unavoidable, but anything that isn’t necessary should be boxed up, and ready to go on moving day.
- Early: If you can get the earliest time slot possible from your removalist, grab it. The day is only going to get hotter and hotter.
- More about boxes: Have as many boxes in your front room as possible, prior to moving day. This will make things a good deal more efficient.
- The new place: You definitely want to make sure the power and AC are ready to go at the new place.
Simple, right? Now, let’s cover a few things you can do on the dreaded (nah, not really) MOVING DAY:
Hydration nation: It should go without saying that if it’s a hot one, you need to keep your body properly hydrated at all times. Stay away from energy drinks, soda, or drinking too much coffee. None of those things will do your body any favors. Furthermore, heatstroke is the kind of thing that can make moving day feel like moving decade.
The morning: Pre-hydrate with a few glasses of water.
Eating: Start the day off with a big breakfast. Follow up with a light lunch. Give yourself some healthy snacks throughout the day.
Take a break: Start early, and make plans to take a break during the hottest period of the day.
Electronics: Don’t leave boxes with electronics in the sun for too long.
Dress for success: Light, breathable clothes are essential on a hot day.